Dental Bonding in Manhattan
Bonding is a dental technique or solution for:
- Repairing and fixing chipped or cracked teeth
- Hiding discoloration on the tooth’s surface
- Reducing unsightly gaps between the teeth
Bonding is often used to improve the appearance of your teeth and enhance your smile. It refers to any composite material, either a plastic or resin that is bonded to an existing tooth. Unlike veneers or crowns, cosmetic bonding removes little if any of the original tooth.
Cosmetic bonding has many advantages over veneers or crowns, namely:
- It is a quick process, which typically takes less than one hour.
- It is a popular choice because it does not reduce the tooth’s original structure and is relatively inexpensive.
- Composite resins also come in many different shades, which allow us to match the shades and the shape of the bonded restoration to a natural color and shape of an ideal tooth.
Composites are typically not as durable and long lasting as veneers and crowns and may need to be re-touched or replaced every three to five to ten years depending on your diet, oral habits and oral care. In order to insure the longest possible duration of the bonding, proper care of the bonded tooth is recommended. This means, like the rest of your teeth, it should be brushed and flossed daily especially if you drink coffee, tea, or smoke tobacco, all of which stain composite bonds.